Sunday, September 30, 2018

Zanell

    Ara-a-non visited a woman of Slavath one late night.  She was the wife of a merchant.  He was away gathering supplies at Kathos.  Aranon had seduced Zanell with flattering words.  Later she secretly invited him for more than words when her husband went away again.
   At night she opened the doorway of her tent for him wearing only thin veils as her marriage bed lay empty and cold.  Zanell in turned seduced the man who was not her husband with the dancing moves only a woman could show.  These became warm embraces upon her bed.  Soon they knew one another as man and wife, even though they did not belong as such.  Beneath the covers they found discovery.  After sometime, Zanell rose up saying to him, “Lie here my love till I return.  I must attend to my daughter who sleeps in the next room.” Her coy smile radiated with her eyes cutting back to look over her shoulder as Aranon eagerly awaited her return.
   Moments later the naked woman’s cutting smile returned and came lying beside him, then they enjoyed the company of one another even more than before.  Near dawn Aranon dressed and returned to his life in the city of Lindol beyond the Sibling Gate of Mithar.  Three days later Zanell sent word, an invitation for another evening of passion.  Seven such visits saw them burning in their desires for one another.  Yet, before an eighth could be spent together, Zanell sent word in a note saying, “Never again.”

   Eight years passed.  Then, while selling idols in the market square of Lindol a young girl came to Aranon.  She said nothing but only watched him trading with others.  Turning to her, the merchant Aranon asked, “Would you care to trade for the image of Ulmo, God of the Sea my sweet girl?”
   The girl gave no answer.
   Again, Aranon, “Ah, perhaps a lamp to recall the Blessed Light of the Goddess Yelovanna?”
   The girl of fifteen years smiled but gave no sign of interest in his wares.  Finally, she spoke, “I am E-no-lyn on Kathos.”
   Aranon stood as stone.
   Enolyn broke his silence, seeing his eyes recognized her name, “Yes, my mother was Zanell of Slavath.”
   A wondering smile came upon his face.
   The girl continued, “I remember seeing you love my mother.  On three different times I saw you embrace her in the cold night, and heard you other times as well.  Secret meetings, which my mother swore me to tell no one, and I never did.
   I remember seeing you on occasion in the temple; offering incense and prayers to Eru, The One alone.  I never forgot the time you picked me up and held me close to your warmth while my mother gave coins to the Mitharian Priest at their gate.
   There were many times I caught my mother stealing glances in search of you after you both no longer met; but, you never saw us watching you from afar.  With that Enolyn smiled.
   How –,” Aranon began to ask?
   How is she,” Enolyn asked in his stead?
   Yes,” He confirmed.  How is your mother – and father, Jafeth?”
   My father is not well --.”
   I am sorry to--,” Aranon began, but the girl continued, with, “My father is not well since--” She removed a bracelet and handed it to the jewelry merchant.  He knew very well the distinctive woven pattern of red and yellow, beaded wristlet for it was his own.  Aranon’s heart sank as his eyes welled with tears.
   My mother always whispered to me that if anything was ever to --”
   I know.  When?  How,” he cried, listening to her answer?
   My mother always bought fresh fish caught at the sea port of Kathos.  I am still unsure what she enjoyed more, the dress stalls or riding her horse southward to get there.
   Seven weeks ago a snake crossed her path throwing her from the horse.  Other travelers found her on the road where she lay for more than a day.”
   The man’s face was consumed with age that suddenly came over him, “Enolyn, my deepest sorrow could never tell you how sorry I am.”  The loss was crushing news to the old merchant.
   A few moments later, the young girl smiled again, and asked, “I myself am to be a bride to Joel, a fishmonger of Kathos in three days’ time.  Joel looks at me the same way my mother did you from afar.  So, tell me truly Aranon, had Zanell not belong to my father, would you have --?”
   Two winters ago I felt the sorrow your father does now sweet one.  For the next ten thousand years shall I ever mourn your mother’s loss as she touched me like no other could,” he said with a broken smile holding back the tears.

   Before she turned to leave, Enolyn said, “I always had great affection for you Aranon for the love I saw you held for my mother, and the tenderness you embraced me as well.  She cared deeply for you, you know -- all these many years.”





Next...


...

No comments:

Post a Comment